Sunday, October 17, 2004

The US Presidential Elections from a Distance

I love politics. Ever since I won the STV election for the 3KC class rep on the Kaipara College student council in 1995, I have had a passion for politics.

However, I find it very difficult to get excited over the upcoming US Presidential Elections. Both candidates are as un-charismatic as each other. Both have cookie-cutter similar politics. Both are from a wealthy background. It is little wonder no one in America votes.

I went through and added a few links to my blog the other day, and considered linking the Kerry-Edwards campaign site. This is due to a basic dislike for Bush, rather than any form of support of Kerry. To be perfectly honest, they're both as bad as each other. Kerry voted for the war in Iraq, and is opposed to same-sex marriage. If I was an American, I would probably not vote, or vote for Nader.

I'm a progressive, left voter. The Democrats are (roughly) the equivalent to the New Zealand Labour Party. I should support the Democrats, but, I just can't bring myself to it. I guess the one thing Bush does have going for him is that he is at least (reasonably) open as to who he is working for, rather than claiming to be a bastion of the the people etc, etc, etc, and then supporting tax cuts for the rich. How on earth can a political party, which is supposed to be left wing, over look candidates such as Howard Dean, or even Kerry's running mate, John Edwards, in favour of John Kerry? It simply doesn't add up.

What happened to the old days of Democrat Presidents like Roosevelt, and Lyndon Johnson? Franklin Roosevelt achieved more for the American people in 100 days than the last four US Presidents did in 20 years (that includes Clinton's 8 years in office). Despite being a fabrication of Hollywood, Jeb Bartlett is more in touch with the average American than any prospective Democrat Presidential candidate. OK, so his foreign policies weren't so crash hot (IE: Vietnam), but Johnson was the last US President to make any real gains on welfare security - and he's been dead since 1972!!

If you are in the same boat as me, I suggest you visit The Onion's Election Guide. Outrageous!
Listed on BlogShares