Tuesday, January 25, 2005

Greenbrook 1, Mallard 0

As many of you may be aware, I made my first television appearance on Wednesday night. I was sitting in Wellington Airport enjoying a pint of beer when it was broadcast (my cell phone went nuts for half an hour), but my parents taped it, and I have since watched it several times (over and over again).

The piece was rather shallow (as to be expected from the NZ television media, I guess), and they cut out my best stuff. Also, I badly needed (and, have since had) a hair cut (hence the over-use of product). Just the same, I am proud of making the national media after only three weeks in the job, with a story I pretty much peddled from the start (I was under the impression that it was going to be a small part of a bigger story, not the main part of the story).

Trevor Mallard is quoted as saying there was a lot of abuse of the former system, with people getting married in order to qualify. This is absolutely without basis - there were only a few hundred students who qualified because they are married, as opposed to the 8,000 who qualified through the 96 week rule. Politicians use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post - for support rather than illumination. I guess that's what happens when you have a former VUWSA President as your advisor...

It is also going to be covered in the Wellingtonian and Western News this week. Interestingly, Michelle Quirk from the Dominion Post (who is normally all over our media releases) hasn't touched it.

UPDATE: Here's the (slightly factually incorrect) NewsTalk ZB piece on it.
Listed on BlogShares